So on June 15th, I had my first meeting with UCLA. I met with a
Dr. Perrin Pleninger from the neurology department. We went over my
scans and she spent time explaining to me what we were looking at and
things she was looking out for. She first focused on my “splenium”
lesion. She said that based on my history, my EEG, and what she saw on
the MRI scans, that the lesion is nothing more than a random spot in my
brain and that it’s most likely nothing more. She said that my case
doesn’t fit with someone who might have an autoimmune issue or issues
with encephalitis or meningitis. She conferred with some of her other
colleagues and they all came to the same conclusions. Suffice to say, I
was pretty happy to hear this.
However, as for the lesion in my right temporal parietal lobe, she
didn’t want to say too much about it and preferred that I see someone
from the neuro-oncology department of which I was able to get an
appointment this past Monday. I didn’t think I would get an appointment
for at least a couple of weeks, so I felt very fortunate to be able to
get one so soon. Dr. Pleninger explained that there is this
multidisciplinary group called the “tumor board” made up of doctors from
neurosurgery, neurology, radiation oncology, and and pathology that
meets every Wednesday to review patients case files. It’s almost like
have 3rd, 4th, and 5th opinions all in one sitting.
The one thing that did cause Dr. Pleninger some concern are the dizzy
spells and lightheadness I’ve been having the past two weeks. I’ve
also had a numbness sensation on the right side of my face, but only
twice though and it lasted for just a couple minutes each time.
However, I believe this might stem from the biopsy moreso than
anything. It still hasn’t fully recovered yet and I still have some
issues with it. Also, because the lesion is in the right side of my
brain, it would affect the left side, not the right. Anyway, Dr.
Pleninger said that what I’ve been experiencing might be mini-seizures,
but is not sure if they might be a precursor to a more acute episode.
The disheartening thing, or positive thing depending how it’s viewed is
when she said that she’s really surprised I haven’t had a more acute
episode considering the location and size of my lesion. She brought up
that it might be a good idea for me to go on Keppra. She was concerned
not only for my safety while driving, but for others as well. However,
the decision was left up to me at that point, I think mainly because I
hadn’t had an experience where I was disoriented and felt not in
control. I decided to wait since my dizziness and lightheadness had
gotten a little better the past couple of days and my appointment with
neuro-oncology was near.
So on June 20, I met with Dr. Naveed Wagle from neuro-oncology.
Similar to my meeting with Dr. Pleninger, we went over my history
although since he had already taken a review of my MRI scan beforehand,
we did not review it together. After going through everything, Dr.
Wagle felt that the best course of action would be to have another
biopsy performed. He believes that everything points to the lesion
possibly being a low grade glioma, instead of the hamartoma which is
the initial diagnosis. However, he said that it’s difficult to tell
because the tissues taken in the first biopsy appear inconclusive based
on the pathology report. However, he said that he would take my case
to the tumor board to have it reviewed and to get a consensus of the
next step to be taken. Also, at this point, he went and brought in
another neuro-oncologist, Dr. Albert Lai. Dr. Lai repeated the same
sentiments of Dr. Wagle and also proceeded to lay out course of action
for the short-term that I could start now. First, they would like me to
have a PET scan and another follow-up MRI. Also, they would like me to
obtain the sample tissues extracted from my biopsy to have the UCLA
neuro-pathologist examine them. Dr. Lai laid out two possible paths
that could happen. He said that in order for them to feel confident
that the lesion is not a low-grade glioma and therefore not needing a
biopsy, the PET scan would have to be negative, the follow-up MRI would
have to show shrinkage of the lesion, and the pathology report would
have to be favorable. However, both Drs. Wagle and Lai feels this
outcome to be unlikely. However, they both stressed that they’ll know
more after the meeting with the tumor board.
In further talking with them, they both recommended that I start on
anti-seizure medication. They both believe, similar to Dr. Pleninger,
that what I’ve been experiencing the past few weeks were mini-partial
seizures. Also as mentioned by Dr. Pleninger, both Drs. Lai and Wagle
both said that the location of my tumor couldn’t have been located in a
more perfect place that would provoke seizures. They stressed that for
my well-being and those of others that I begin to take Keppra as soon as
possible. So now I am on Keppra. Some of the side effects include
fatigue (the most common), irritability, dizziness, and mood swings.
Just taking it for a day, I already felt the fatigue and the
dizziness that it can bring. However, it should pass after a month or so
as my body adjusts to the medication. The more serious side effects is
thoughts of suicide and destructive behavior. I’ll have to as my family
and people I see on a regular basis to watch out for any signs.
Anyway, as of now, I am waiting for neuro-oncology to call me back
regarding the scheduling of my MRI and PET scan and also on what the
board decides. I am nervous, but I think I am ready to face whatever may
come my way…