Search This Blog

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Some bit of Good News

According to Dr. Liau, my neuro-surgeon, I should be able to drive again by this time next week! The condition is that I don’t have any auras or seizures from now until then. Since the surgery, I haven’t had any, even with the lower dosage of keppra, my anti-seizure medication. Some background. When I initially took it, Dr. Wagle started me on 500 mg. After my craniotomy, it with increased to 1000 mg, which caused me to have severe body rash. So it was lowered back to 500 mg.
Since the surgery, aside from recovery from the procedure itself, I haven’t had any issues with dizziness like I did before. Before the surgery, I was having simple partial seizures (dizziness and weakness in legs). Even when on keppra, I was still having dizzy spells, which I thought might have been from the keppra as it is a common side effect along with drowsiness. Anyway, since I have been dizzy free post-craniotomy, even when on the 1000 mg keppra, the dizziness prior might have been from the tumor and not the keppra. When Dr. Liau recommended going back down to 500 mg, a concern was that I might start getting dizzy spells again and have simple partial seizures and auras. Again however, so far so good and it’s been about 10 days now since going back to the lower dosage.
Hoping it stays this way. Being able to drive will make such a difference as it will lessen the burden on my family and will be another step in the recovery process and in returning some semblance of normalcy. It will mean so much and do wonders emotionally, mentally, psychologically.

No comments:

Post a Comment