| Staples removed 2.5 weeks later |
This blog is a way to document what it's like to live with a brain tumor. I hope someone will find some comfort in reading through this as I did in reading other survivor's blogs when I was first diagnosed and of which I still do.
Search This Blog
Monday, August 22, 2011
Wednesday, August 10, 2011
Open Biopsy Pathology Report
Good news. Just spoke with Dr. Liau and everything looks good. She was
able to remove about 75% of the tumor. It is a very low grade
oglioastrocytoma. The proliferation index for a low grade tumor is 5%.
Mine is less than 1%. MRI scan in three months to determine whether any
treatment needed. Good news.
Friday, August 5, 2011
Tuesday, August 2, 2011
My Preliminary Schedule
Tomorrow night, my mom, my sister, and I will be heading
up to UCLA and will stay in Westwood. My dad and brother will come up
early Thursday morning. At this point, the specific time of my surgery
has not been set yet. I have to call in tomorrow between 2-4 PM to find
out my check-in time.
For Thursday, according to Dr. Liau, my surgery should last somewhere between 5 to 7 hours. My poor family. Luckily, Maddie’s Room looks comfortable and also the cafeteria is literally right next door. Hopefully, the wait will not be too bad for them. After the surgery, Dr. Liau will come and speak with my family. If all goes well, I should be discharged by Sunday afternoon.
For Thursday, according to Dr. Liau, my surgery should last somewhere between 5 to 7 hours. My poor family. Luckily, Maddie’s Room looks comfortable and also the cafeteria is literally right next door. Hopefully, the wait will not be too bad for them. After the surgery, Dr. Liau will come and speak with my family. If all goes well, I should be discharged by Sunday afternoon.
![]() |
| Maddie's Room (waiting room) |
Wednesday, July 27, 2011
Pre-Op Testing Done
Was up at UCLA again today for an MRI scan. The funny thing is
that I actually kinda fell asleep during the MRI scan. Don’t know if
this is a good or bad thing. However, this was my last bit of testing
before my surgery next Thursday.
Since I had some time before my CD copy would be ready, I went over to check out the Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center to get some familiarity with it. I have to say that the ground level halls are massive. Anyway, I’m glad I went. Was able to find the waiting room (aka. “Maddie’s Room”) and map out where to go come Thursday. Will probably go again Wednesday night with my folks and my sister to get them familiarized with the hospital as well.
As of now, next Tuesday (8/2) will be my last day at work before I go on medical leave. I spoke with my workplace in terms of what paperwork needed to fill out and some other logistical items that I will need to do before my leave starts. So for these next few days at work, I’ll be trying to wrap up a couple of projects, clean my office and box up my items (for my company’s move in September), and enjoy some time with family and friends. Again, why do I feel like these are my last days before going to prison…ha
Since I had some time before my CD copy would be ready, I went over to check out the Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center to get some familiarity with it. I have to say that the ground level halls are massive. Anyway, I’m glad I went. Was able to find the waiting room (aka. “Maddie’s Room”) and map out where to go come Thursday. Will probably go again Wednesday night with my folks and my sister to get them familiarized with the hospital as well.
As of now, next Tuesday (8/2) will be my last day at work before I go on medical leave. I spoke with my workplace in terms of what paperwork needed to fill out and some other logistical items that I will need to do before my leave starts. So for these next few days at work, I’ll be trying to wrap up a couple of projects, clean my office and box up my items (for my company’s move in September), and enjoy some time with family and friends. Again, why do I feel like these are my last days before going to prison…ha
Wednesday, July 13, 2011
Scheduled Open Biopsy
After meeting again with Dr. Lai along with Dr. Piccioni on
Monday and Dr. Liau on Tuesday, I have decided to go with the open
biopsy procedure. It is scheduled for August 4 and will be performed by
Dr. Liau at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center.
I met with Dr. Lai and Dr. Piccioni after my MRI scan. Although my MRI scan shows little to no change of the lesion, Dr. Lai still believes that the best course of action right would be resection of the lesion. It would provide the most definitive path in determining what the lesion might be and what treatment if any, would be required. Dr. Liau shares the same opinion as do the other members of the tumor board she consulted with. Dr. Liau added that removing as much as possible now would greatly reduce the chance of complications in the future. She also added that there might be a good chance that removal of the lesion would also reduce or eliminate altogether the possibility of seizures and therefore I would no longer need to take Keppra.
All indications based on the MRI scan points to the lesion as most likely a low-grade tumor of some sort (most likely a glioma). Dr. Liau explained that any abnormalities in the brain can be attributed to either gliosis (scar tissue), cortical dysplasia (extra clump of brain tissue), or a tumor. However, based on the MRI scans, the two former have been ruled out because the lesion does not match their characteristics. If it were the two former, a likely path would be a wait and see approach to see if they result in any physical symptoms such as seizures. As it seems likely to be a low grade tumor, the best course of action I believe is to take it out because 1) I can stop wondering what the lesion is, 2) it will provide a more definitive answer and course of action, and 3) it would likely decrease any possible future complications should the lesion become aggressive (which can happen). There can be complications and a small chance the procedure may result in irreparable mental deficits. I only hope I am making the right decision.
So there are a few things for me to do in the next coming weeks (it’s coming up so soon!). Dr. Liau would still like for me to get the DOPA PET scan done along with some brain mapping to help with the biopsy. I may also need to possibly do an autologous blood donation (self donation) as well. Additionally, there is some paperwork to prepare and I’ll need to prepare the FMLA and SDI applications as well. So much to think about and do on top of my work responsibilities…
I met with Dr. Lai and Dr. Piccioni after my MRI scan. Although my MRI scan shows little to no change of the lesion, Dr. Lai still believes that the best course of action right would be resection of the lesion. It would provide the most definitive path in determining what the lesion might be and what treatment if any, would be required. Dr. Liau shares the same opinion as do the other members of the tumor board she consulted with. Dr. Liau added that removing as much as possible now would greatly reduce the chance of complications in the future. She also added that there might be a good chance that removal of the lesion would also reduce or eliminate altogether the possibility of seizures and therefore I would no longer need to take Keppra.
All indications based on the MRI scan points to the lesion as most likely a low-grade tumor of some sort (most likely a glioma). Dr. Liau explained that any abnormalities in the brain can be attributed to either gliosis (scar tissue), cortical dysplasia (extra clump of brain tissue), or a tumor. However, based on the MRI scans, the two former have been ruled out because the lesion does not match their characteristics. If it were the two former, a likely path would be a wait and see approach to see if they result in any physical symptoms such as seizures. As it seems likely to be a low grade tumor, the best course of action I believe is to take it out because 1) I can stop wondering what the lesion is, 2) it will provide a more definitive answer and course of action, and 3) it would likely decrease any possible future complications should the lesion become aggressive (which can happen). There can be complications and a small chance the procedure may result in irreparable mental deficits. I only hope I am making the right decision.
So there are a few things for me to do in the next coming weeks (it’s coming up so soon!). Dr. Liau would still like for me to get the DOPA PET scan done along with some brain mapping to help with the biopsy. I may also need to possibly do an autologous blood donation (self donation) as well. Additionally, there is some paperwork to prepare and I’ll need to prepare the FMLA and SDI applications as well. So much to think about and do on top of my work responsibilities…
Saturday, July 2, 2011
Tumor Board Update
This past Wednesday, Dr. Wagle presented my case to the tumor
board and was able to consult with Dr. Linda Liau. According to Dr.
Wagle, Dr. Liau felt that a larger biopsy/resection would be safe and
possible. However, I haven’t had a chance yet to meet with Dr. Liau and
waiting to hear from her office to schedule an appointment. I hope we
can schedule one for this coming week or early next week. I also still
am waiting for my MRI and PET scan appointments as well.
Although I haven’t had a chance to speak with Dr. Liau yet, it does seem very likely that I will have to undergo the open biopsy after all. However, I’m glad that Dr. Liau will be the neurosurgeon overseeing my well-being.
Although I haven’t had a chance to speak with Dr. Liau yet, it does seem very likely that I will have to undergo the open biopsy after all. However, I’m glad that Dr. Liau will be the neurosurgeon overseeing my well-being.
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)
