Well, I have my next MRI this coming Monday and then a
follow-up with Dr. Lai afterwards. Am a bit anxious about what the MRI
will reveal. I believe this feeling of anxiousness before an MRI scan
and its finding is called “scanxiety.”
This MRI should dictate the growth rate and characteristic of the type of tumor that I have. I am hoping for the best in that it will show no growth of the remaining tumor. According to Dr. Lai, there should be little to no growth as it is a grade 2 oligoastrocytoma. If there is significant growth then it will mean that the tumor will have taken a turn for the worse. Therefore, a more aggressive treatment would be needed such as radiation surgery, which is similar to radiation therapy, but at a much higher dosage. Also, I may need another surgery depending on the location and amount of growth.
At this point though, assuming that the results are positive, I am leaning towards radiation therapy. Again, it seems that the effectiveness of each treatment are about equal and it’s just coming down to what I think I can live with after assessing the positives and negatives of each. I probably won’t make the ultimate final decision until I’m in the office with Dr. Lai on Monday.
This MRI should dictate the growth rate and characteristic of the type of tumor that I have. I am hoping for the best in that it will show no growth of the remaining tumor. According to Dr. Lai, there should be little to no growth as it is a grade 2 oligoastrocytoma. If there is significant growth then it will mean that the tumor will have taken a turn for the worse. Therefore, a more aggressive treatment would be needed such as radiation surgery, which is similar to radiation therapy, but at a much higher dosage. Also, I may need another surgery depending on the location and amount of growth.
At this point though, assuming that the results are positive, I am leaning towards radiation therapy. Again, it seems that the effectiveness of each treatment are about equal and it’s just coming down to what I think I can live with after assessing the positives and negatives of each. I probably won’t make the ultimate final decision until I’m in the office with Dr. Lai on Monday.
No comments:
Post a Comment