Finally got a chance to watch Before Midnight and this dialogue really stuck out. Living in the unknown can be really draining and the since my diagnosis in 2011, that's all my life has been, ONE BIG UNKNOWN. It was unknown in my initial diagnosis whether I had two masses in my brain or just one. It was unknown whether I needed an spinal tap or not. It was unknown whether I was experiencing epileptic seizures or not. It was unknown whether the anti-seizure medication would help. It was unknown when if I might have a tonic clonic/grand mal seizure. It was unknown whether I'd ever get rid of the balance issues I had. It was unknown if radiation therapy or chemotherapy would be the best choice. It is unknown whether I'll be here 2-3 years from now. It is unknown what my quality of life will be. It is unknown whether I should just cash out my 401K. It is unknown whether to save for the long-term or to just live for now.
So many unknowns...I've thought about what is elaborated below. The finality of the situation brings about a certainty that is welcomed.
CELINE: Yeah. Do you remember this friend of mine? George, from New York.
JESSE: No.
CELINE: Oh, no, that was before. That was before.
JESSE: What was?
CELINE: He was this friend of mine that, when he found out he had leukemia, and he was probably going to die, he confessed to me that the first thing that came to his mind was relief.
JESSE: Relief? But why?
CELINE: Well, before he found out he had nine months to live he was always so worried about money, and now his thought was, great! I have more than enough money to live for the next nine months, I've made it!
JESSE: (Laughing) Oh, okay.
CELINE: And then he was finally able to enjoy everything about life, even like being stuck in traffic. He would just enjoy looking at people... staring at their faces. Just little things.
No comments:
Post a Comment