Poem I came across written by a fellow brain tumor survivor:
Fitting Into Life...
Do you ever wonder what it's like
to not fit into this life?
You aren't unhealthy but you are sick
yet you aren't able to make your pick
People get to know you... for who you are
without knowing your secrets afar
Do I tell them... or don't I you wonder
Knowing if you do... it's usually a blunder
You decide it best... you think they should know
Since there is nothing physical to show
How do you do it... there's no manual or book
to teach you the right way and not go amuck
"I have this thing... inside of me"
"It doesn't change who I am or want to be"
"It's a tumor up here... inside my head"
"Sometimes it keeps me all day, in my bed"
"Don't be afraid... no... not that look, please no"
"that look that says "oh no... when will you go""
"I don't need you to feel sorry, be mad, or tense"
"I need your understanding, your love and your patience"
"you see... I'm a fighter with a heart for life"
"and ain't no tumor gonna cause me strife"
"so brighten your face with that big ol smile"
"and hold my hand cause I'll need your strength for a while"
Now is the hard part... the part I struggle with
Because until they were told they didn't even know it
Until I told, I was just another friend
Now I'm a patient... who may not mend.
To say I'm a "normal" person would be a lie
I have issues that could cause me to die
This is why I struggle and fight with my might
Because I know not where I fit into this life
No comments:
Post a Comment