Search This Blog

Monday, May 7, 2012

Tumor May Have Been Present in Late '06

I've always wondered how long the tumor might have been around. It's the one of many questions I suppose that can't be definitively answered. Based on the relative slow growth of the tumor, it may have been around for quite some time now. Since this may be the case, I've found myself pouring over all the little incidences that's occurred over the past several years, well, all the ones I can remember anyway.

So after some long and hard search into my memory bank, it seems that I may have had the tumor as far back as late 2006, early 2007. At that time, I was still living in Cleveland. It was my last year of grad/law school. I'll be honest, that last year, particularly the last semester was pretty tough as I was, let's just say, ready to graduate from school! Anyway, if I recall correctly, towards the end of 2006, early 2007, there were some strange activity that I was having, that looking back to it, may have been telltale signs of a brain tumor. First, there were more than several instances of waking up in the middle of the night and vomiting without any warning. I didn't feel nauseated or anything. At that time, I thought maybe I was just having severe panic attacks although I didn't feel too stressed, not anymore stressed than at any other time during grad/law school. In fact, that last semester was probably the "easiest" semester I had and I was enjoying myself. By that time, I was mostly taking grad classes and was really enjoying my Grad Assistant position. However, who knows, it may have latent panic attacks.

Besides the vomiting, there were also a few instances where I heard voices, almost like a radio program was playing, but I could never pinpoint the source. I even went outside a couple of times in the dead of night in the Cleveland winter, but could never find the source of what I was hearing. The reason it was hard to pinpoint the source was because it seemed like it came from everywhere, but from nowhere as well. It was the strangest thing and only occurred at night. Like the vomiting, I only woke up to these voices in the middle of the night. Also, the voices were always unintelligible.

I must say though that I don't remember any other symptoms associated with these two activities and I don't think both of these things ever happened at the same time. They could have, and I could have had other symptoms accompany them, but I don't remember. Both these things only happened for a few months and then just stopped. They were so strange and up until then, I had never had anything like them. Also, for some reason, I never bothered to do an online search of my symptoms! Maybe if I had had better insurance than just the university health coverage, I could've gone to the Cleveland Clinic to get checked out (yes, I see the irony of it all). My school's health center wasn't the most comprehensive. Of the times I went there, it was mostly always the same type of response, which was, "Just tough it out..."

3 comments:

  1. John, my mom heard voices that sounded like a radio program. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? Was it connected to your mom's brain tumors that were found? If I got a nickel for every time I said, "I wish I could've gotten an MRI from 5-6 years ago...," I'd be $10 richer.

    I never knew why I didn't think more of it than I did. Was probably just too tired from school that it just didn't register more than it should have. Hearing the voices didn't even scare me. They were more of an annoyance than anything because they prevented me from getting my much needed rest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt and feel the same way. I wonder how long mine have been there. 10 years? 20? 5? The only thing I can recall is in 2006 (weird!) I was driving on the freeway and something odd happened with my vision. I felt everything get smashed sideways and I about pulled over on the side of the road. It was so surreal and scary but it passed (after lasting about 20 seconds if that).

    But then after that nothing happened again until the beginning of 2011 and then everything started to snowball and I had surgery 2011. I too wonder what if all the time. If only. Oh but actually, funny as I'm writing this, the end of 2010 I started having odd pressure headaches, but I thought it was an allergy to jasmine that was everywhere I was, and it seemed to get better as my Vitamin D (orally) was increased. (I had a parathyroid issues).

    I hear ya...loud and clear.

    ReplyDelete